Thursday, September 22, 2005

graham cracker fiasco

So before I made the pilgrimage back to Cleveland, I was busy growing my obsession with American things and especially all things Cleveland. For example, I never minded baseball and I was starting to like it alot before I left, but since I have been here, I've gone crazy and I whine about the fact that ESPN here plays one baseball game a week and thats at like 3 in the morning on Monday nights. Whats worse is that I have actually stayed up late to watch said baseball games, just because.

So of course my Taco Bell and other obsessions grew exponentially at the same time. I was visiting the TB website regularly and still checking out Old Navy's specials, even though they don't ship internationally.

Look it doesn't help that the things I want are really pretty unknown here. Combos, graham crackers, The Christmas Story, Cleveland. Oh no wait, they do know Cleveland here, because the only thing Cleveland has exported is the world's worst TV show. Ok, its not the worst, but its hardly worth watching and it really isn't the way I need my hometown being portrayed. (Maybe I should have chosen the "Defend Cleveland" t-shirt.) But, in my madness, I started watching the first five minutes of the show on a regular basis just to see the skyline during the intro. Everyone around me pretended to understand - but I am not too sure that there is any excuse for watching the Drew Carey show, is there?

In any case, I went home and ate pizza rolls and taco bell everyday - because I couldn't take those home - and stocked up on dry goods, canned goods, bottled goods, etc to bring home. Half of my luggage was a grocery supply. And everyone, save my immeadiate family had their gifts purchased at Big Fun, so that I could keep them nice and small. (And they'd never heard of Garbage Pail Kid Cards before - soooo - okay, they are crap gifts and I was selfish.)

So you can imagine how I freaked out today when Felix took a packet of graham crackers off the counter and ran around the house to escape my clutches, throwing little bits of craker into the air as he ran. It was not the crumbs on the floor I was worried about. (Last time he ran like that, he had a ketchup bottle upside down and was squeezing it as he ran from room to room. I was worried about the mess then.) No, what I was worried about was the graham crackers to floor and graham crackers to Katie ratios. It wasn't really working out in my favour, you see.

In any case, I hold the graham cracker fiasco directly responsible for what later: I watched the Drew Carey show, not just to see the skyline, the whole damn show - and I even laughed.

I think I need to frame one of my treasured skyline postcards and place it on top of the TV - or I need a guaranteed and regular delivery of graham crackers to South Africa. Anyone care to spare me from Drew Carey hell?

No comments: