Wednesday, July 05, 2006

spiros

Last night I found myself on the computer for a few hours, more because I really did not feel like working teddy bears, than because I was doing anything useful. And with Steve going to be working (meaning he'll be in Cape Town, DRC, Sudan, etc) for the next several weeks, I more or less excused myself from kid duties. We've got plenty of bonding time coming up and I've got plenty of wanting to pull my hair out because two small boys can drive you insane even when they are being good.

And in any case, even with me avoiding them, I was looking out for their best interests. I called Monica to try and set up a playdate for the boys and took a call inviting them to a 3rd birthday party this Sunday. It was then that I remembered that we had completely forgotten a party Felix was supposed to go to that afternoon. Oops. I felt really bad and tried not to mention it - which means I resorted to the parental trick of spelling which only lasts for a few years anyhow. Steve tried to call the parents, but their phone was on voicemail. And Felix, for no reason I can fathom, unless he can spell already, pushed a chair to the fridge, got up on it and pulled down the invitation and said, "I want to go to Ben's party." Wow, we are bad parents. Sure, I was at work and Steve was in Pretoria paying a holy fortune to get visas for work, but how on earth did we forget?

But then I thought back to this weekend when I took them to Sandton City to meet Winnie the Pooh. The mall is chaos as it is, but on a Saturday, with Winnie the Pooh - complete maddness. But I took them and I got them Happy Meals from McDonalds and when I discovered that you need a ticket to meet Winnie the Pooh and that they were gone already, I improvised. First, I grabbed a kid under each arm and pushed my way through the crowd until we were positioned right where Winnie walks by on his way off the stage. Then as he walked by, I thrust my children at him, forcing them to hug the giant walking bear that wears a shirt but no pants, and on the retreat, I stole some Winnie the Pooh buttons that you were only supposed to get if you met the bear and then I spent ALOT of money buying them Winnie the Pooh balloons. Lets just say, I'm awful proud of my put the kids first skills even in the face of adversity, which by the way a room filled with other people's kids definitely is.

So I wasn't feeling too bad anymore, but still a little battered. Then I found this picture on Steve's side of the computer. It had the file name "we had breakfast at Spiros". What? When did Steve take the boys to Spiros - the single greatest breakfast spot on earth? And more importantly, why wasn't I there? Well parental guilt in every form flew out the window. I mean if they get to go to Spiros and I don't, thats not guilt, that is shear, undeniable jealousy. Immeadiately I planned on taking them this first Sunday Steve is gone. But then I realised, Felix has a birthday party on Sunday and thats how we forgot the one today, by being completely wrapped up in the adult world of our lives. Damnit. But at least I've got about 5 Sundays after that. I'll play it by ear and perhaps try looking at my diary at least once every morning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kobus, Saturdays from 10 till around noon member? Taken some time in the distant past when we must have had a bit of dosh