Thursday, September 28, 2006

guest post

Last night I fell asleep on the couch. I was woken up briefly to have a look at this art. I appreciated it, but I was tired all the same. This email from Steve greeted me this morning, I thought I should share it.


So Felix was like, "Daddy I wanna draw you." And I was thinking, "that's a bit advanced for a three year old, what have they been teaching him at school?

"
Then he was like "But I can't daddy, I don't know how."

I told him he could do anything if he tried, etc, but he kept saying he couldn't


So I said "well, don't worry Felix just draw anything.

"
Then he said "Okay" and started drawing, he drew what looked like a head outline and said, "Okay daddy's head." I looked at it from the couch and true enough there was a head outline.

So I said, "Wow Felix that's incredible, now what about giving daddy some eyes, so he said, "Okay" and drew eyes (well okay, he drew three).

I was thrilled, "Now what about a mouth for daddy, Felix?" Sure enough he drew a mouth.

And I was like, "That's unbelievable Felix, now what about daddy's nose?" Bang! Felix drew a nose.

I grabbed him and kissed him and said what a wonderful child he was, then he said "No wait Daddy I need to give you sharps". I was like "it's okay Felix let's pretend that daddy shaved today, we don't need to draw the sharps."


So he said, "Okay daddy but I have to draw your ears" those are the little squiggles on either side.


Well I was so proud of Felix that I wanted him to sign the work so I asked if he could write his name, and he giggled "No daddy" all sheepishly. So I started to write his name and he got all cross and said "but you're doing it daddy, that's mine."

I looked up and asked nobody in particular "What's the date today?", he said, "it's Wednesday daddy." And sure enough Wednesday it is.

Anyway, emails like this only come from proud fathers, so I hope the pic doesn't disappoint, but I'm blown away by it, it was drawn entirely by Felix, unassisted, I mean the kid is THREE!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hello katie
i understand this post completely
holly came home one day with a father's day picture she drew for my husband paul
i was of paul and i holding hands
only we were long armed long legged goons with floating heads and no bodies
but sure enough we were holding hands
i cried
it was the sweates thing i had ever seen
p.s. i always adore reading your blog

heather herman